Travelling on a budget
Travel Tips for Families on a Budget – travelling on a budget
1. What are the best ways to save money while travelling as a family?
Travelling as a family can be expensive, but there are ways to save money while travelling. Here are some of the best ways you can cut down on the costs of travel and really enjoy travelling on a budget.
1. Book flights in advance – check out Skyscanner and tick the box for nearby airports
2. Look for deals and discounts via social media and travel websites
3. Consider staying in a hotel with a kitchen, so that you don’t have to eat out for every meal
2. Take advantage of free and cheap activities in your destination
Free and cheap activities are a great way to experience the destination while on a lower budget.
Some of the best things to do for free or cheap include visiting museums, performances, exploring the city streets, etc.
3. Be flexible with your itinerary to save money on flights and accommodation
One way to save money is to be flexible with your itinerary.
When it comes to accommodation, you have the option of staying in a hostel or Airbnb instead of booking a hotel room. This will save you some money, but this decision should be based on your preference and what you can afford.
4. Use these packing tips to avoid baggage fees at airports
Airlines will charge for packing a bag over 10kg – some now charge even for a small case. If you are packing for a family of four, this is especially difficult. Packing light is the best way to avoid baggage fees at airports.
It’s a pain that every frequent traveller has experienced: the dreaded baggage fees that are becoming more and more common. Airports are looking for ways to make money, and baggage fees seem like an easy way to do it. But what if there was a way to avoid the hassle of paying extra for luggage? See if you can fit all of your family baggage in two suitcases.
-Pack as little as possible – if you are going abroad and you know it will be warm – you need underwear, and then interchangeable shorts/tops/dresses.
-Utilize packing cubes to maximize space and stuff your shoes with socks and bikinis
-Pack items into your hand luggage – even if its a rucksack you can fit in all your foldable dresses!
-Take a Kindle instead of heavy books, buy cheap toys at your destination
You should also be careful with your money abroad – make sure its packed safely, and that you have checked out the tips here.